so tell me...

This blog is going to be pretty random as far as I can see at this point. I don't really know if there will be any organization to it, so we'll see what happens I guess. I'll probably just ramble about stuff I'm thinking about or things that have happened to me, or I might just make stuff up, I'm not really sure yet. So I hope I can keep it interesting, and I hope I can post new things somewhat regularly. Well anyways, enjoy!

Thursday, September 28, 2006

6'-1" and counting

So I help out with Awana, and this Wednesday, we were supposed to dress up as what we want to be when we grow up. Now, seeing as to the fact that I am in college, I don't have that many things to dress up in. The only thing I had was my old high school football jersey, which I wore. It's kind of contradictory when you think about it, because I was saying that I wanted to be a football player by wearing a jersey that I actually played football in. But this post is not about the philosophical reasoning behind wearing things from the past to hint as to what I want to do in the future (sorry if I lost you there, I reread it and actually lost myself). What I am writing about is that the events of last night got me reminiscing about what I wanted to be when I was little thinking about when I grew up. I will try to avoid the age-old joke that my dad still uses to this day by saying that I wanted to be tall (sorry if it's too late already). So here we go...

I think the very first thing I wanted to be as far as I can remember was a football player, just as all little boys want to be. I think it might be a requirement for every boy. You shouldn't be allowed to grow up until at some point you want to be a football player or at least play some other sport for a living. I don't quite remember how long that phase lasted, but once it went away, I believe that I then wanted to be a video game tester. This is also a desired job that is held by young boys, although not as big as football. Just think about it. You could just play video games all day long and then tell people how to make the game better, then you'd be able to play the newly improved game, so the gaming experience would just get better and better as you went along. Thankfully, this was merely a wishful desire for me, because now I don't find video games anywhere near as appealing as I did when I was younger and I think I would seriously go insane if I had to sit in front of a television all day long.

Okay, new paragraph. I don't really need a new paragraph because I'm not changing my train of thought (although I am now because I am talking about paragraphs). I only wanted a new paragraph because the previous one was getting rather long and I learned in my technical communications class last year that long paragraphs can be daunting for readers. White space is good (our professor repeated this concept quite often, so it is ingrained in my brain). So I was actually thinking about all of you who are reading this as I made a new paragraph, because I don't want to scare you off with what appears to be an endless mass of words. So you can skip this section if you would rather have the flow of the story rather than my justification of my paragraph breaks, although now that I think of it, you couldn't have known that you could have skipped this section until you had read and gotten to this point. Sorry about that. I didn't learn how to organize paragraphs very well, only that long ones are bad. And now this paragraph is rather long and I think it's time for another new one.

My eyes would probably eventually fall out, and that would not be good. After my desire to be a video game tester died off, I wanted to be a roller coaster tester, but I figured that this might be a little dangerous since I would have to be the first one to ever ride the roller coaster, so there would be an immense possibility of me getting thrown off and getting killed. Not cool. From there I decided that I wanted to be a basketball player (yep, back to sports), but this quickly went away because I find out that it's a lot harder than it looks to put a ball into a 10 foot basket on a consistent basis. After that I wanted to be a computer programmer, but I decided against that much for the same reasons as wanting to be a video game tester. Then I wanted to be a crime scene investigator. This was mainly due to the fact that CSI was a new show and it was and still is awesome. This was probably the first career that I considered for what I would do in college, but after a little bit more research on it, I found that real crime scene investigation is nowhere near as cool as what they made it out to be on T.V. It was rather depressing actually. The next thing I wanted to be was an architect. This was because I like to design things, especially floorplans for houses. This was the first career that I seriously considered. I went to an architecture workshop at UNL over a week during the summer a few years back and did all of my campus visits looking at their college of architecture.

(New paragraph, same justification)

It wasn't until I knew I was coming to UNL that I realized that I didn't want to do architecture. I found that it was much to artsy for me. I still liked designing things and I was pretty good at math and science so I figured that engineering would be good. So I switched my major from architecture to civil engineering, but then I decided that I didn't want to be designing bridges and roads for my whole life. So then I switched my major to mechanical engineering (if you happen to know what they actually do, feel free to clue me in). So that is what I am working on right now, and I guess we'll see if what I want to be when I grow up changes any more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nikki Moore said...

i think i liked your paragraph about paragraphs about as much as the rest of your blog.

i'm glad you don't really care much about video games anymore, because when people are over like age 16, and still play them all the time, it's kind of creepy.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home