so tell me...

This blog is going to be pretty random as far as I can see at this point. I don't really know if there will be any organization to it, so we'll see what happens I guess. I'll probably just ramble about stuff I'm thinking about or things that have happened to me, or I might just make stuff up, I'm not really sure yet. So I hope I can keep it interesting, and I hope I can post new things somewhat regularly. Well anyways, enjoy!

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Rediscovering the magic of snow days

So, in honor of it being a snow day (we don't get very many of those in college) I thought I would voice my opinion about them. My thinking about them has fluctuated quite a bit actually and for good reasons, so I will now enlighten you as to what those reasons are.

When I was little, I obviously loved snow days because they meant no school. Plus my brother and I would be able to get all bundled up and go play outside for hours on end and make snow forts and play football and do whatever else little kids do in the snow. Plus it was great to be able to come inside and have hot cocoa waiting for me whenever we got done playing. All was fine and dandy until one day my parents decided that I was old enough to shovel. Shoveling is quite possibly the worst thing that you could ever do. Here you wake up to find that you have no school and get all excited only to find that you have to go outside and shovel now for the next two hours. (It actually took this long because we lived on a corner and had a really long driveway, and of course my dad never bothered to get a snow blower until after I moved out). Well I hated shoveling so much that I actually started to hate snow days. You're not supposed to do anything on snow days. Shoveling means doing something. It got so bad that I actually would have rather gone to school than have to shovel my driveway and sidewalk. It was just having my concept of snow days being ruined that I hated so much. Well after I moved out and onto college, I've found that I don't have to shovel whenever it snows. It's amazing! Now we don't have snow days as often, but when they do come, they're fantastic. You just get to miss so much stuff that you thought you had to do. For instance, today I am missing an early morning showing at work, a thermodynamics test, a class after that, a two-hour lab and a late showing of work as well. Just think how much free time I have now! This is what snow days should really be like.

So there you have it. I've come to appreciate snow days once again, and I am glad of that. It's just that if I don't have to go to school or work, then I don't want to have to shovel either. Is that too much to ask?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home