so tell me...

This blog is going to be pretty random as far as I can see at this point. I don't really know if there will be any organization to it, so we'll see what happens I guess. I'll probably just ramble about stuff I'm thinking about or things that have happened to me, or I might just make stuff up, I'm not really sure yet. So I hope I can keep it interesting, and I hope I can post new things somewhat regularly. Well anyways, enjoy!

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Ah, music

So I've decided that music is pretty awesome. There are just so many different types and all of them affect us in a different way. Some things can pump us up while others can quiet us down and even others that do everything in between. (I don't normally cry when I hear music, unless, of course it is REALLY bad). With that aside though, I can't really think of anything else that can change our emotions as quickly as music. I also like it because of how different it can be. We aren't stuck listening to all this stuff that sounds the same. One moment I can be listening to some light rock and the next bobbing my head to Beethoven and even move on to some hard core metal. I have no idea under what circumstances I would listen to that last one, but it is possible, and it is because of that flexibility and change that I enjoy music as well. The last point I wanted to make was that music is so extremely logical. If you really understand music and what sounds good and what doesn't, you can see that there is so much order in the rhythm and pitch and chord progressions and whatever else is involved. It just amazes me sometimes. It is because of this that just playing a simple progression of four chords over and over can sound just as good as the most technical pieces of music requiring tremendous amounts of skill. But it is the order and seeing how logical music is that has made me appreciate it so much more. So yeah, pretty awesome.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nikki Moore said...

hard core metal eh? a little Dragon Force once or twice and you are a fan...i knew it'd get to you.

the emotional aspect of music is really fascinating to me...i wrote something about it on my blog once, so you've probably read my thoughts on it. but it's just so mysterious that something so logical and scientific, really, can impact the spiritual side of us. it's like a bridge between physical and non-physical. that's enough to keep anyone "thinking deeply" for a while.

yeah, music is pretty logical. in my mind i see it like a checkerboard. different sets of notes "go together" and as long as it's not the note RIGHT next to yours, they will go together on the grid. except there are more than two sets of notes, so it's like a multidimensional checkerboard. :D

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home